Friday, April 1, 2011

The Knitter that Occasionally Quilts

Good Morning to all,


Yep, you saw right, quilting.  My dear friend Shannah, taught me to quilt in college and I have made two quilts and I am ready for another one . . . . I think.  My hubby finally got his christmas bonus, so he let me use some of that to buy some fabric.  I bought some to make some placemats for our new table and some fabric for a quilt.  I have dived into the placemats first.  Here are some pics of them.

Here is a pic of the two that I have finished for now.  I embroidered around the pink and green "Flowers or leaves".  However, I tried machine quilting this time.  But,  it's been a journey.  I bought the cheapest sewing machine they had at walmart at some point and I don't feel the need to spend the money to buy a nicer one since I only get the urge to do this every so often.  I am also very limited in my knowledge of sewing period so instead of using the foot pedal to sew I used the knob on the side.  Hand cranking each stitch gives me the control that I love and the look that I love but it takes a little longer and it hurts my back and shoulders if I do it for two long.  But hey they look pretty!

The first mat I stitched color on the front and white on the back and then I got a wild idea.

For the second one I decided use white on the front and color on the back and I think it turned out really good.



YEA!  I have two or four more to make.  Depends on how much stuff I have.  Now for the quilt.


This is what I bought to make the quilt but I am brainstorming what I want to do with it.  Thankfully, my quilting friend posted on her blog yesterday about her husband's quilt and another blog that helped her.  So I went over to it and was excited.  Lots of wonderful quilting ideas to help me on my way to being a better quilter.  I think I might try to make a quilt out of this pattern.  Now this pattern requires a few more  fabrics but don't worry.  I have been remnant shopping.

If I get brave enough to start the quilt I will let you know.  But for now I will continue to work on the placemats.  I think my idea is to have one a little different than the other.  I am a little nervous but I think I want to try this.  I always seem to have a problem with the edges of my quilt so maybe this will help.  :)

Thats it for now.  Everyone enjoy their weekend.  My hubby and I are helping a new friend with lighting a high school play.  Which is reminding me of my high schools days.  


1 comment:

  1. Carlyn, your placemats look GREAT!!! MAKE THAT QUILT!

    I'm so glad that you were inspired by me! I love that blog! She is so helpful. That square quilt is sooo cute.

    You can buy binding pre-made if you don't want to take the time to make it yourself. This is what I did for the quilt I made. They come in binding strips at the craft store, and aren't too expensive.

    ReplyDelete